Give Birmingham: Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (BCRI), part of the Birmingham Civil Rights National Monument and an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is a cultural and educational research center that promotes a comprehensive understanding of the significance of civil rights developments in Birmingham. For 30 years, we have enlightened each generation about civil and human rights. We stand strong as the cornerstone of the civil rights story, a living memorial with an ongoing mission.
We showcase self-guided exhibitions that give visitors the opportunity to experience civil rights history. The Institute is open Tuesday-Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Admission tickets can be purchased online (www.bcri.org) or on-site. Group tours are also available.
We also have an Education Department that is dedicated to reaching individuals, young and old, from all backgrounds and cultural groups, to convey the importance of the Civil Rights Movement then and now. The Education Department frequently hosts events to engage and educate the community. View upcoming events on our website.
To enlighten each generation about civil and human rights by exploring our common past and working together in the present to build a better future.
• Annually reach more than 150,000 individuals through award-winning programs and services.
• Provide several free educational programs for youth and members of the community.
• Have one of the largest archives in the South with over 10,000 items.
• Worked with over 25 different partners last year to continue our mission, including The City of Birmingham, Apple, Amazon, and Regions Bank.
• Awarded the National Medal for Museum and Library Service (IMLS), the nation’s highest honor for institutions that make significant and exceptional contributions to their communities. (2007)
• First organization to receive “I AM A MAN” Award from the April 4th Foundation in Memphis, TN. (2013)
Ways To Support
Become a Member- Members are the foundation of BCRI’s community of support and allow us to continue our mission for preservation, inspiration, and education. Members also received exclusive benefits. Sign up today on our website.
Donate- Now more than ever, we need you. We need you to help us lift our voice. Donate on our website or text BCRIGIVE to 44321.
Volunteer- As a volunteer, you are investing in the future of the Institute and the community. Register to volunteer on our website.
Shop- Visit our bookstore for a diverse selection of artful gifts and books, book signings, and children’s read-along programs. Open every Tuesday-Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
520 16th St N. Birmingham, AL 35203