Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama (RMHCA) provides a comforting, supportive second home to pediatric patients and their families who travel hours to Birmingham for world-class pediatric care. RMHCA serves guest families through two main programs.
The Ronald McDonald House is located just one block from Children’s of Alabama and UAB Women & Infants Center (WIC). The House includes 73 guest suites, indoor and outdoor play areas, multiple laundry rooms, kitchens and other open areas where families can eat and socialize, and a volunteer kitchen where meal volunteers create nourishing dinners.
Our second program is the Ronald McDonald Family Room located within the Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of UAB WIC. The main room includes a sitting area with a TV, gaming console, books and board games; and lunch, snacks and coffee are set out in the kitchen. Guest families can also use a washing machine and dryer or shower in one of three full bathrooms. Guests who arrive overnight or otherwise need critical sleep can use one of three sleep rooms.
Our services are free to guest families because of the financial and volunteer support of the community.
With diligence, integrity and compassion, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama joins and aids families in their efforts to find hope, support, happiness, and growth, regardless of obstacles placed before them.
• Since 1979, RMHCA has served more than 48,000 families of sick or injured children.
• RMHCA receives no state or federal funding.
• On average, individuals contribute 48% of RMHCA funding each year.
• In 2022, volunteers provided 229 meals to guest families, free of charge.
• In 2022, our House saved families $6.6 million in lodging and food expenses.
RMHCA Signature Events:
• Saturday, April 15, 2023: Red Shoe Run: Rockin’ 5K, presented by McDonald’s.
• Monday, May 22, 2023: Ronald McDonald House Golf Classic,
presented by Hudson Company.
• Friday, August 11, 2023: 21st Annual Heart of the House Gala, presented by Medical Properties Trust.
Community Events Benefiting RMHCA:
• Friday, May 5, 2023: Bowl-a-Palooza, hosted by the RMHCA Student Leadership Council.
• Friday, Oct. 6, 2023: Sweet Home Brews, hosted by the RMHCA Junior Board.
1700 4th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35233
(205) 638-7255 • rmhca.org